PRC

Help us support the Pregnancy Resource Center of Santa Cruz by donating here.
Earn free Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bottom of the Budget - Crock Pot Bean Soup

I love using my crock pot.  Especially on busy days.  You can throw everything in the pot in the morning, and when dinner time come around it is there ready for you.  This bean soup recipe I use often when we are at the end of our budget.  It cost a few bucks, and it feeds our family of six several meals.  I've also used the leftovers to make enchiladas.  The children and my husband love this so that is a big plus!  I'm going to make this tonight, and since my iron levels are pretty low I'm going to chop up a large bunch of swiss chard to throw in the pot.  Hopefully the children won't notice it too much and they will still love it :) 

Crock Pot Bean Soup

2 lbs. dried black bean (or pinto beans), soaked overnight
3 slices of bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbs chili powder
2 tsp cumin
about 8 cups of water, or enough to cover the beans by a half inch or so (you don't want too much or it will turn out with too much liquid)

*Add all the ingredients to the crock pot, stir, put on the top and cook on low about 8 hours.  After it is cooked season to taste.  I like to use Lawry's seasoned salt.


*I serve this over Spanish brown rice, and we top with jack cheese, salsa, sour cream, and a mixture of shredded cabbage, carrots, and cilantro.




Enjoy!

~Amy

*this post is linked to Family Food Fridays



2 comments:

  1. Delicious, simple, healthy, cheap......aahhh...all my favorites. This really does sound great, thanks for linking up at Family Food Fridays! Hope to see again next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I pale in comparison to you, friend! I don't know how you do it, pregnant and all! You inspire me to do more (especially with the budget-friendly meals). Love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete